Sunday, January 16, 2011

Evolution of a Work - 'Fields Across the Stream"

"Fields Across the Stream" - final
This is a scene along Marengo Road, about one half mile from my house.  I go on walks this direction a lot, and see this hillside nearly every day.  I always seem to be drawn into this scene. I like the composition and warm late winter colors in this oil painting.  I began this painting on location with a pencil sketch on a small pocket-sized notebook since it was too cold to stay outside for long.  This painting seems to have a poem-like quality which appeals to me, saying just enough for it to feel 'whole,' but without distracting details.

Original sketch, made on location

I made this sketch to remember the composition of the scene that appealed to me with its interlocking arcs.  The colors I filed in memory, and noticed them more as I drew and interacted with the scene.  I remember sitting there, feeling grateful for this open land, and a touch of warm sun despite the cold air.

Grisaille oil sketch
After getting back to the studio, I wanted to lay in the tonal masses to make sure that the values would work as a composition (and not just the lines).  I decided to work on canvas paper so I felt free to experiment, and then later use this as a reference for the final work.  Such a sketch is called a Grisaille, and is a time-tested approach to beginning a painting.  I don't do this too often, but I've been paying close attention to value-masses lately to see what I can learn from it.  I liked this sketch, so I then used it as a reference for the final painting on canvas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment