Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Handmade Pastel Palettes


Here's a photo of a wonderful gift from my husband! He used his woodworking skills and ingenuity to create five shallow wooden boxes to hold my pastels for in-progress paintings. This temporary storage system allows me to keep a 'palette' for each painting that I'm working on, saving the time and sometimes challenging hunt for finding just the right color for a given work. It also suits my style of creating, often working in bursts over weeks to months on each painting, resting the work until I'm clear what it needs. The curly maple box (foreground) and walnut box (on left) each contain pastel pieces which I am using for paintings this week. The boxes stack (see three stacked boxes at top of photo), an are easy to store on a shelf away from my working surface- also helpful since my studio space is small. Another nice design feature that Tim invented is the use of different woods for each box- easy to tell apart, and pretty to boot! Thanks, Tim!

No comments:

Post a Comment