Thursday, June 30, 2011

Going Exploring!

I've completed a series of seven oil sketches of water lilies and the pond, and while these images are 'sifting' and germinating within, I'm going outside for something completely new and different- backpacking! I've learned that I often need to allow images from plein air (on location) sketches to 'rest' a while, to process within me, so that something with a sense of wholeness and depth can emerge in new works which derive from the sketches. It's kind of mysterious, and something that I can't force, but know that I need to allow. I'm excited by the images which are underway, and am looking forward to seeing how they come together.

Meanwhile, I'm going out to explore woods and streams where Ive never been, looking forward to the physical challenges of up and down miles, and discovering what I don't yet know to look for! I'm taking a little sketchbook along too.

No comments:

Post a Comment