Sunday, October 17, 2010

Evolution of a Work - 'Morning Shadow from Woods to Field"

I recently completed this painting of a scene I often pass while driving a tractor. 

"Morning Shadow from Woods to Field" - completed

I started this painting on location, and as you can see from the initial sketch below, it originally had different colors in the foreground. I added more distinct dark masses to 'ground' the foreground, setting the space distinct from the background.  I also played up the red area on the right a bit, to set off the green areas a bit (since red and green are complementary colors).  I softened the shadows, since although the purple color was beautiful, it kept drawing my eye to that spot alone, rather than allowing my eye to circulate throughout the painting.
Early sketch, cropped with tape from the larger painting

More fundamentally, this painting originally began as part of a larger piece (see the image below), which I didn't feel held together well as a complete composition.  Yet I liked both sides of that painting, so I visually separated and cropped them using artists tape and worked on each separately.  It is only when both paintings were done and ready for framing that I physically cut the two apart.  The painting on the left I call 'Windy Day, Fall Fields." 
More developed - but with only tape laid over the paper
separating it from the original composition



No comments:

Post a Comment