Friday, October 29, 2010

Framing away!

I've been super busy framing pieces for the show, which opens in one week.  It takes a lot of time and attention to detail, and is very different from the skills required to create the art.  However, I'm finding it really gratifying to see the pieces glow in the frames, and hanging side by side as a group.

I really like each of the pieces in my upcoming show, and seeing them together, I am pleased how they bear the marks of the maker, and clearly were created by the same hand.

In this photo, I'm doing one of the final steps involved in mounting a pastel in its frame - the piece is already 'sandwiched' between a mounting board and mat, and I am securing these layers in the frame with little metal 'points'.  Right after this, I put on black backing paper, and add the hangers and wire. I do use archival methods and materials, and pastels are known to last a long, long time.    

Alice in the framing room, affixing the back to pastel.



No comments:

Post a Comment